Sunday, June 15, 2008

Abdul Tawwab- What Does it Mean?

Friends As-salamo-aleykum ,

This is a short but very important piece of writing. Please read it all.

Abdul Tawwab
means 'Servant of The Acceptor of Repentance'
'Abdul' means 'Servant of' & Al-Tawab (or Al-Taw'wab) means The Granter and Accepter of repentance

'Al-Tawwab' is one of the many beautiful Names/Attributes of Allah (God). Tawba (repentance) and istighfar (seeking forgiveness from Allah) are among the most meritorious acts of virtue for the believers. 'Tawba' means feeling remorse for our actions or omissions. 'Istighfar' means expressing that remorse in words and begging Allah for forgiveness.

'ALLAH' is The Creator, Allah is
The Sovereign & Allah is The Sustainer.

Allah loves His Creation.
The prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said, "When Allah completed the creation, He wrote in His book which is with Him on His throne, "My mercy has overcome My anger."" (Reported Bukhari and Muslim)

"Truly, Allah loves those who repent, and He loves those who cleanse themselves." [Al-Quran, Al-Baqarah 2:222].


Allah (S.W.T.) says in Al-Quran , surat Al-Furqan, (verse 70), what can be translated as, "…Those who repent and believe, and do righteous deeds, for those, Allah will change their sins into good deeds…" All this is to prevent the sinners from feeling hopeless of the mercy of Allah (S.W.T.).

Sometime we lose hope that we are so disobedient or sinful, how could we ever be forgiven?

Allah declares the good news :

"O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. For Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Az-Zumr, 39:53]


A very precious in fact priceless gift, Duaa (Prayer):

Arabic text:


اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ رَبِّي لا إِلَهَ إِلا أَنْتَ خَلَقْتَنِي وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ وَأَنَا عَلَى عَهْدِكَ وَوَعْدِكَمَا اسْتَطَعْتُ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا صَنَعْتُ أَبُوءُ لَكَ بِنِعْمَتِكَ عَلَيَّ وَأَبُوءُ لَكَ بِذَنْبِي فَاغْفِرْ لِي فَإِنَّهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلا أَنْتَ

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta, Anta Khalaqtani wa ana abduka, wa ana 'ala ahdika wa wa'dika mastata'tu, A'udhu bika min Sharri ma sana'tu, abu'u Laka bini'matika 'alaiya, wa Abu Laka bidhanbi faghfirli innahu la yaghfiru adhdhunuba illa anta

English Translation of Above Prayer:

(O Allah! You are my Lord! None has the right to be worshiped but You. You created me and I am Your slave, and I am faithful to my covenant and my promise as much as I can. I seek refuge with You from all the evil I have done. I acknowledge before You all the blessings You have bestowed upon me, and I confess to You all my sins. So I entreat You to forgive my sins, for nobody can forgive sins except You.)

Benefit of the above Prayer:
Shaddad ibn Aws (radiAllahu anhu) relates that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said that he (Sayyid al-Istighfar) most superior way of asking for forgiveness from Allah is to say (the above du'a). That "If somebody recites it during the day with firm faith in it, and dies on the same day before the evening, he will be from the people of Paradise; and if somebody recites it at night with firm faith in it, and dies before the morning, he will be from the people of Paradise."
[sahih al-Bukhari; 8,75,318, at-Tirmidhi; 3393, an-Nasa'i; 5522, Ahmad; 16662]

May Allah guide us all , forgive our sins, grant us a peaceful life & Jannat-ul-Firdous.( Aameen).

No comments: